With 14 departments of transportation (DOTs) earning a 2021 Perpetual Pavement Award (PPA): By Performance, breaking the record of PPAs: By Performance awarded in a single year, this year's winning projects epitomize the long-life asphalt pavements that reflect the characteristics of a Perpetual Pavement design: excellence in design, quality in construction, and value to taxpayers. To learn more about the 2021 PPA:By Performance winners, please click the projects below:
- Alabama Department of Transportation (ALDOT), North Region US 72 (AL 2) (MP 133 to MP 137) in Jackson County
During the Alabama Asphalt Pavement Association (AAPA) Awards Luncheon on December 9, 2022, AAPA Executive Director Mel Monk presented ALDOT Deputy Director, Operations, George Conner and ALDOT North Region Engineer Curtis Vincent with their 13th PPA: By Performance.
Pictured from left to right are Conner, Monk, and Vincent.
- Arkansas Department of Transportation (ARDOT) Highway 9, Section 11 (MM 18.75 to MM 24.13) in Stone County
During the Arkansas Asphalt Pavement Association (AAPA) Quality Conference in January 2023, AAPA Executive Director Park Estes and AAPA Chairman Brad Marotti presented Highway Commission Chairman Alec Farmer, Highway Commissioner Marie Holder, ARDOT Director Lorie Tudor, and ARDOT Chief Engineer Rex Vines with their 12th PPA: By Performance. ARDOT also earned a 2021 PPA: By Design and 2021 PPA: By Conversion.
Pictured from left to right are Marotti, Farmer, Holder, Tudor, Vines, and Estes.
- Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) SR 60 (MP 1.661 to MP 4.219) in Pinellas County
- Maryland Department of Transportation (MDOT) State Highway Administration IS 68 (MP 3.62 to MP 8.61) in Allegany County
- Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) US 82 from Oktibbeha County Line to 0.5 miles east of Catalpa Creek Bridge in Lowndes County
On August 23, 2022, Colton Robison, Executive Director of the Mississippi Asphalt Pavement Association (MAPA), Michael Ellis, MAPA Board President, and Jason Brewer, MAPA Member, presented the Mississippi Department of Transportation (MDOT) with their sixth PPA: By Performance obleisk for their work on US 82 in Lowndes County. Accepting the award was John Caldwell, MDOT Northern Transportation Commissioner, Tom Kimg, MDOT Southern Transportation Commissioner, and Willie Simmons, MDOT Central Transportation Commissioner,
Pictured from left to right are Ellis, Caldwell, King, Simmons, Robison, and Brewer.
- Nebraska Department of Transportation (NDOT) Highway 1 (MM 2.65 to MM 7.33) in Cass County
- Nevada Department of Transportation (NDOT) SR 659, N. McCarran Blvd, from Mae Anne Ave to N. Virginia St (MP 8.306 to MP 10.582), Washoe County
On May 17, 2022, the Nevada Department of Transportation (NDOT) was presented with their very first PPA. NDOT Director Kristina Swallow, P.E., and Chief Materials Engineer, Materials Division, Changlin (Charlie) Pan, Ph.D., P.E., happily accepted the coveted obelisk from APA National Director Amy Miller, P.E., and Asphalt Institute Senior Regional Engineer Bob Humer.
Pictured from left to right are Humer, Pan, Swallow, and Miller.
- New Jersey Department of Transportation (NJDOT) I-287 (MP 35.5 to MP 38.8), Both Direction, in Morris County
- Ohio Department of Transportation (ODOT), District 8, IR 275 (MM 49.9 to MM 52.6) in Hamilton County
- Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT), District 4-0, SR3022 (Segments 0010/0000 - 0060/2970) in Luzerne County
- South Carolina Department of Transportation (SCDOT) I-95 (MM 0 to MM 4) in Jasper County
- Tennessee Department of Transportation (TDOT) SR 50 (LM 24.21 to LM 26.76) in Maury County
- Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) IH-20 (MM 315 to MM 324) in Callahan County
Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) SR 7 (MP 18.14 to MP 22.53) in Pierce County
On November 18, 2022, the Washington State Department of Transportation (WSDOT) was presented with their 8th PPA: By Performance at WAPA's 68th Annual Meeting and 2022 Quality Paving Awards Banquet. WSDOT also earned their 2nd PPA: By Design and PPA: By Conversion. Accepting the award from WAPA Executive Director Dave Gent was WSDOT Secretary of Transportation Roger Millar, WSDOT Assistant Regional Administrator-Olympic Region MaryLou Shannon, and WSDOT State Pavement Management Engineer Karen Strauss.
Pictured from left to right are Millar, Shannon, Strauss, and Gent.